Student Legal Protection Program

To help University of Waterloo students access free legal support, WUSA has partnered with Studentcare to provide legal advice on any subject and representation on issues relating to academic rights, co-op and employment, or housing and tenancy. This Plan is designed specifically for students.

Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association Student Legal Protection Program Powered by Student Care

Legal assistance helpline: 1-833-202-4571

Seeking legal counsel can be intimidating, especially if it’s your first time facing a legal issue. The legal assistance helpline provides quick access to legal advice in any area of law, including criminal. Just call 1-833-202-4571

If you are not able to reach this helpline because you are calling from outside Canada, please use the "Chat Now" button on the StudentCare Contact Us page.

Legal Representation Services

What is covered? The listed examples below are not exhaustive. If something is missing, you may still be eligible for legal support.

Housing & Tenant Rights;

  • rent issues
  • lease issues
  • apartment safety
  • major repairs
  • apartment repossession

Employment Rights

  • contract issues
  • harassment
  • wrongful termination

Academic Rights

  • appeals
  • suspension
  • non-academic misconduct
  • plagiarism

Who is automatically covered?

All full and part-time undergraduate students who are members of WUSA can utilize the Student Legal Protection Program. This includes all international students, co-op students on officially recognized work terms, and students who are attending Waterloo on exchange.

What is included?

The Student Legal Protection Program covers:

* Prices and amounts are subject to change. For complete details please visit the StudentCare website.

  • Fees of lawyers or bailiffs
  • Legal expenses (disbursements): Court fees, including adverse costs awarded
  • Attendance fees
  • Missed wages
  • Witness expenses
  • Experts’ fees up to a maximum of $1,000
  • and more!


Frivolous cases — The service will refuse frivolous cases, those being defined as any lawsuit that is filed with the intention of harassing, annoying, or disturbing the opposite party, including potentially a lawsuit in which the plaintiff knows there is little to no chance of success in court.

Exception to coverage — This service cannot be used to pursue and/or defend against legal proceedings where the Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association would be a party or for the purpose of any other litigation.

Review and Appeal

In the event the service's partner law firm refuses to represent your case, you can request a review by an independent lawyer, who will examine the decision to confirm or reverse it. See for more details on how to request a review (including necessary documentation).

  • If the original decision is reversed, your case will be supported without further delay.
  • If the original decision is confirmed, you can appeal to the Legal Protection Appeals Committee. Exceptions to this appeal are situations related to the reasonable chance of success of the case or in frivolous cases.

The Legal Protection Appeals Committee will hear, consider, and make determinations on appeals of decisions relating to the context of subject areas of protection. The decision of the appeals committee will be final and cannot be further appealed.

How much does it cost?

Visit the Studentcare External Link website for complete details. Please note the fees listed may differ from fees assessed due to administrative overheads and HST. For fee assessment details, please visit your WUSA fees page.

Can I opt-out and how will doing so impact me?

You're able to manage your coverage to make it work for you. Unlike Health and Dental plans, the Legal Protection Service is entirely optional! Because there is no proof-of-coverage requirement, you can opt-out of the program when you pay your fees on Quest. For more information on opt-outs, visit UW Student Financial Services.

If you opt-out of the Legal Protection Service, you lose all access to resources, including the toll-free helpline on any legal questions and access to legal representation on academic rights, employment rights, and housing & tenancy matters.

NOTE: opting-out of the service at the beginning of the policy year means you cannot opt back in at any point during that policy year, with some exceptions. To request an exception please contact your Vice President, Operations & Finance at

Eligibility details, coverage, and fees information are available at the Studentcare website.

Have more questions?

Information is available online at the Studentcare website or by calling the Studentcare Member Services Centre at 1 866 369-8794, Mon to Fri, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can also visit the StudentCare office in the Health Services Building for in-person support.

For other inquiries, please contact or visit the main office at SLC 1116.

Legal Protection Program in the News


Health Services Building
Room 1006

200 University Ave West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
1 866 369-8794

Weekdays 9am - 5pm
Weekends Closed