Copyright © 2020 Federation of Students, University of Waterloo operating as Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association
Located in SLC 0101, the Bike Centre is a Do-It-Yourself bike repair shop run by undergraduate students at UWaterloo. We can provide the tools, parts, and some know-how to help you keep your ride in tip-top shape.
Bicycle Rental Program
The Bike Centre offers a bicycle rental program. Undergraduate students will have the opportunity to rent one of 40 bicycles at an affordable price for the entire term. The Rental program is now accepting applications for the 2019 SpringTerm! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Spring Term Operations
Please note: Bike Centre is open by appointment only.
For rental bikes, please visit: wusabikerentals20.ticketfi.com
For other appointments, please visit: calendly.com/uwbikecentre/appointments
- Please practice social distancing and respect staff at all times
- Please do not enter the Bike Centre if you have covid-19 like symptoms or suspicion of carrying a contagious disease
- Masks or other face coverings are highly recommended when in the shop
- Access available only through exterior door (towards SLC/PAC parking lot)
- Please provide your Watcard (place on counter), Name, and WatIAM when entering (Will be used to contact you if there is a health-related situation)
- Maximum of 3 people in the shop (including Bike Centre staff)
- All tools cleaned after used by a maximum of 1 person (No sharing of tools)
- Please wash your hands when you enter and exit the shop and hourly
- New items for purchase will be picked by Bike Centre staff
- Payment accepted via debit or credit card only
- No purchase of used parts (unless it’s a guaranteed-fit item, e.g. valve cap)
- No return of purchased items
How the Bike Centre Works
We charge $1/hr for use of the tools and $1 if you use any of the fluids. It is always free to pump up your tires. We are proudly run by volunteers, not professional mechanics. We can provide resources and advice to assist with repairs, but we are not a full-service shop.
Parts for sale include:
- Inner Tubes - $5 (24”, 26”, & 700c sizes available)
- Brake & Shift Cables: $3
- Brake & Shift Housing: $2/ft
- Glue Patch: $0.50 each
The fluids available are oil (suitable for your chain), grease (the thick gooey stuff to be used on bearings), and citrus-based solvent (for helping get rid of the old gooey stuff).
We have the tools for most routine maintenance.
What we don't have are tools that are specific for disc brakes, suspension fork or shock, frame straightening, pressing in headset cups, or for specialized/cutting-edge/high-end parts.
Where is the Bike Centre
The Bike Centre is in the northwest corner of the Student Life Centre. You can get to us from the outside by our door in that corner of the building (on the Ring Road side of the SLC loading docks) or from inside the SLC by walking down the hallway past the CIBC in the basement. The room number is SLC 0101.
Bi-Annual Bike Auction
Every fall and spring term, the Bike Centre, which is located in the basement of the SLC, auctions off second-hand bikes that have been inspected by skilled student volunteers. This event gives students who want an alternative way of getting around a budget-friendly opportunity to own a bicycle
Bicycle Rental Program
The Bike Centre provides a bike rental program in both Spring and Fall terms to provide a cost effective, eco friendly alternative to local transportation. Students will have the opportunity to rent one of 40 bicycles at an affordable price for the entire term.
Rental fees and damage deposits will be payable in cash or debit only when picking up your bike.
Each rental bicycle comes with reflectors, front and rear lights, and a U-lock and cable. You are required to prove you have a helmet when you pick up your bike.
See the following link for more information and to register for a spring term rental: http://wusabikerentals20.ticketfi.com/
2, 3 & 8 speed bikes
$100/term or $45/month (plus $250 damage deposit)
Payments and deposits will be payable in cash or debit only when picking up your bicycle.
Each rental bicycle comes with reflectors, front and rear lights, and a U-lock and cable.
The following bicycle models will be available for rental:
- NORCO CITY GLIDE 8IGH (medium and large)
- NORCO CITY GLIDE 2SPD (small, medium and large)
- NORCO CITY GLIDE 3IGH MIXTE (small & medium)
Donate to us
The Bike Centre appreciates your support! Financial donations will be used for operations and the purchase of necessary items for the safety of our guests and volunteers. At this time, we are not able to accept donations of parts, bikes or other equipment.
Parking is available at PAC and SLC. For rates at specific locations see the University of Waterloo Lot Information Rates webpage.