Copyright © 2020 Federation of Students, University of Waterloo operating as Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association
Sustainability Commissioner (1-Year Contract – Fall 2021 – Spring 2022)
Description: The Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association (WUSA) is committed to improving the lives of UWaterloo undergraduates both in and outside the classroom. The Sustainability Commissioner works to support the reduction of the WUSA’s ecological footprint and advocates for better sustainability on campus.
Job Title: Sustainability Commissioner (1-Year Contract – Fall 2021 – Spring 2022)
Department: Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association (WUSA) Student-Run Service
Reports To: WUSA Services Manager
Weekly Hours: 10-15hrs/week
Effective Date: September 1st, 2021
End Date: August 31st, 2022
Role Description: In this role, you will oversee WUSA’s Sustainability Project and encourage sustainable practices throughout the organization and more broadly on campus. This position is also responsible for the creation and evaluation of internal sustainability policies. This position offers some flexibility in working hours. Nonetheless, successful candidates should remember that this is a part-time position and should be willing to plan academic and extracurricular commitments accordingly.
- Maintains and builds relationships with the Sustainability Office and other stakeholders on campus
- Represents undergraduate students on committees as assigned by the President (eg. President’s Advisory Council on Environmental Sustainability, PACES).
- Develops and undertakes research, advocacy, or outreach project(s) in alignment with the executive action plan
- Coordinate the activities of WUSA’s Sustainability Project and other sustainability initiatives, as assigned by Students’ Council
- Serve as a resource for information-seeking groups when it comes to improving the sustainability of events run by student groups
- Work with WUSA Thrift (WUSA Clothing Project) and Campus Compost (and other student run groups as needed) to meet regularly and discuss upcoming actions, plans, and needs
- Identify and work with established, new and upcoming sustainability-based groups and projects to support sustainability initiatives on campus
- Maintain communication with the University’s services and programs, including but not limited to, the Sustainability Office, Plant Operations, Campus Housing, and Food Services.
- Work with the WUSA Marketing Department to communicate sustainability initiatives
- Provide constructive feedback to key stakeholders and communicate expectations effectively
- Meets regularly with the Services Manager
- Report at least once per term to the WUSA Student’s Council on relevant activities and directed initiatives
- Additional duties as assigned by Students’ Council
Requirements and assets for the role:
- Current undergraduate University of Waterloo student
- Knowledge of University of Waterloo and WUSA’s sustainability initiatives including WUSA’s Sustainability Project, Okanagan Charter, UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), Shift Zero, and University of Waterloo sustainability commitments
- Experience planning and running events, particularly with a sustainability focus
- Broad knowledge of environmental sustainability issues and campus environmental programs at other universities
- Passion and motivation to improve sustainability efforts on campus
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and show strong initiative
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management (i.e. capable of handling multiple deadlines)
- Able to identify confidential and sensitive information and understand its reasonable use
- Required to attend training with WUSA Services Manager prior to official start date (dates TBA)
Please submit a resume and cover letter indicating experience and how you meet the requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “WUSA Sustainability Commissioner Fall 2021 Application” by Sunday, July 11, 2021, at 11:59PM EST.