Copyright © 2020 Federation of Students, University of Waterloo operating as Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association
The Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association (WUSA) is committed to improving the lives of UWaterloo undergraduates both in and outside the classroom. The Sustainability Commissioner works to support the reduction of the WUSA’s ecological footprint. This position is also responsible for the creation and evaluation of internal sustainability policies. In this role, you will organize WUSA’s Sustainability Project and encourage sustainable practices throughout the organization.
This position offers some flexibility in working hours. Nonetheless, successful candidates should remember that this is a part-time position and should be willing to plan academic and extracurricular commitments accordingly.
Reports to: Services Manager
Term length: January 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021 (Winter and Spring 2021)
Job category: Part-time (10-15 hours/week)
Wage: Starting at $16.50/hour
References required: No
Contact person email: email@example.com
- Maintains and builds relationships with the Sustainability Office and other stakeholders on campus
- Represents undergraduate students on committees as assigned by the President.
- Develops and undertakes research, advocacy, or outreach project(s) in alignment with the executive action plan
- Coordinate the activities of WUSA’s Sustainability Project and other sustainability initiatives, as assigned by Students’ Council
- Serve as a resource for information-seeking groups when it comes to improving the sustainability of events run by student groups
- Work with the Clothing Project and Campus Compost (and other student run groups as needed) to meet regularly and discuss upcoming actions, plans, and needs
- Identify and work with established, new and upcoming sustainability-based clubs to create a cohesive plan for sustainability on campus
- Maintain communication with the University’s services and programs, including but not limited to, the Sustainability Office, Plant Operations, Campus Housing, and Food Services.
- Work with the Marketing Department to communicate sustainability initiatives
- Provide constructive feedback to key stakeholders and communicate expectations effectively
- Meets regularly with the Services Manager
- Report at least once per term to the WUSA Student’s Council on relevant activities and directed initiatives
- Additional duties as assigned by Students’ Council
- Current undergraduate University of Waterloo student
- Knowledge of University of Waterloo and WUSA’s sustainability initiatives including WUSA’s Sustainability Project, Okanagan Charter, UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), and Shift Zero.
- Experience planning and running events, particularly with a sustainability focus
- Experience facilitating and developing educational programming
- Broad knowledge of environmental sustainability issues and campus environmental programs at other universities
- Passion and motivation to improve sustainability efforts on campus
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to
- Ability to work independently and show strong initiative
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management (i.e. capable of handling multiple deadlines)
- Able to identify confidential and sensitive information and understand its reasonable use
Application Deadline: Nov 29th, 11:59 pm
Please submit a cover letter and resume identifying relevant qualifications prior to Nov 29th to firstname.lastname@example.org