Copyright © 2019 Federation of Students, University of Waterloo operating as Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association
Chief Returning Officer (CRO)
Reports to: secretary of the corporation, office of the president
Term Length: time of hiring – April 30, 2020
Job Category: part-time contract
Availability: approximately 10 - 15 hours per week during electoral events and 1-5 hours per week not during electoral events; must be available to work at least 1 work week day between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wage: $15.50 per hour
The Chief Returning Officer will be responsible for upholding the WUSA Elections and Referenda procedures and other relevant bylaws, policies, and procedures of the corporation conducive to equitable and efficient elections and referenda.
Summary of Duties
Chair the Elections and Referenda Committee (ERC):
- Be an authority on interpretations of the Elections and Referenda Procedure, subject to the policies, and by-laws of WUSA, and any interpretations thereof
- Be the official spokesperson for the Independent Commission on Elections and Referenda (ICER)
- Receive, review, and adjudicate appeals on rulings made by WUSA’s Elections and Referenda Officers and ensure a ruling is published within two business days
- Remain impartial and unbiased on election or referendum issues and strive to ensure that the elections and referenda are fairly run
- Work closely with marketing specialists to ensure that an election and/or referendum web page is created and updated
- Prepare and submit to Students’ Council, where relevant and within sixty (60) days of the end of an Electoral Event’s polling period, a report that details ERC decisions during the election or referendum, summarizes the results of the election, including voter turnout by faculty, and recommends improvements for future elections or referenda
Execute and Oversee All Electoral Event Activities:
- Conduct any required all-candidates meetings and disseminate information to candidates, with the assistance of the ERO(s).
- Plan and execute regularly-scheduled Electoral Events in consultation with relevant staff and remain involved with relevant staff-level meetings.
- Ensure that candidate biographies and headshots are submitted and uploaded using the website ticket request system
- Approve all nomination forms, information packages, and other content issued by WUSA for all candidates and referendum campaign committees
- Work with IT staff to ensure the electronic ballots are tested and, as chair of the ERC, oversee the counting of paper ballots
- Uphold and apply all Election and Referenda rules fairly and equitably
- Assist the Research and Policy Officer with hiring and supporting the ERO(s) for an Electoral Event
- Assist relevant staff with coordinating the establishment, staffing and operation of polling booths
- Serve, along with the Research and Policy Officer and another member of ERC, as a scrutineer for the initial viewing of results of all Electoral Events after their associated Polling Periods.
- In conjunction with the President, or designate, confirm and publish for ratification at the next possible General Meeting or meeting of the Student’s Council the official results for the Electoral Event
- Other duties as assigned or procedurally required
*Please note that any offer of employment is subject to approval by the Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association Board of Directors.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience public speaking
- Experience in promotions an asset
- Knowledge of MS Office software required
- Knowledge of WUSA policies and procedures is an asset
- Previous involvement in the WUSA elections or referendum events considered an asset
- Strong interpersonal communication and persuasive skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong time management and multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to maintain neutrality in all elections and referenda
- Logistical planning capability
Please submit a cover letter and a resume identifying relevant qualifications prior to October 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
The successful applicant will be required to sign a statement of intent not to participate in any other capacity in an Electoral Event.