MATES Coordinator – Internal Candidate already in role
Please note we cannot accommodate students on a co-op term who will be working full-time hours. This is due to coordinators needing to be available regularly during the day to run their operations. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Service Description: UW MATES is a peer-support service for undergraduate student population. MATES Peer Support Volunteers support students experiencing stress, social and academic challenges as well as low level mental health concerns. MATES team consists of trained volunteers who are knowledgeable about various on and off-campus resources and can assist students in navigating these services.
Job Title: Coordinator, MATES (2 Term Contract – Fall 2022- Winter 2023)
Department: Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association (WUSA) Student-Run Service
Reports To: WUSA Services Manager
Weekly Hours: Minimum 15 hours a week with up to 25/Hrs per week
Effective Date: September 1st, 2022
End Date: December 23rd, 2023
Benefits of Working for the MATES:
– High level management experience, leadership experience, outreach experience
– Organize teams of volunteers and executives
– Learn how to work with multiple groups on campus
– Gain the skills to work with a budget
– Have a large impact on the availability of support on campus.
Role Description: The Coordinator’s main responsibility is to ensure that the program meets the needs of the University. The Coordinator facilitates cooperation between the various team members within the MATES service as well as ensures that the MATES Volunteers and Executives are well supported. The Coordinator is also required to work closely with and facilitate communication with the Executive team for MATES as well as with the Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association.
The Coordinator collaborates with their co-coordinator to lead all those involved within the service while working closely with the Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association to ensure that MATES remains an active and growing service available to all students. The Coordinator plays a large role in networking among different organizations, helping MATES develop further as a service, innovating new ways to get students involved with the service as well as working on outreach to ensure that the campus community is aware that the service exists and is available for them.
– Overall logistics and general operations of MATES including the physical space and safety for all volunteers and visitors
– Supervision, training and support for the exec and volunteers
– Hire Volunteers and Executives for upcoming terms
– Assist with development and facilitation of 2-day MATES Core Training
– Provide support as needed to the MATES Volunteers and Executives
– Plan and lead weekly Debrief Meetings to supervise MATES Volunteers
– Conduct midterm check-ins with all Volunteers and Executives once a term
– Address disciplinary issues that may come up within the MATES service with Volunteers or Executives
– Arrange appointments with the MATES Volunteers and any student who is seeking a mentor within UW MATES
– Work with services and other groups across campus in order to ensure MATES is available to students who need it
– Maintaining general email address and replying promptly to messages
– Managing finances
– Work with the WUSA marketing department to ensure proper promotion of the Centre and all related events and activities
– Attend a weekly meeting with the Services Manager and must submit an end of term report in accordance with the WUSA policies and procedures
– Submit hours tracking and payroll information as required
Requirements and assets for the role:
– Previous experience working within MATES is required
– Passion for mental health awareness, reducing stigma for mental illness and a strong proponent of peer support
– Previous training in Mental Health First Aid, SafeTALK, UWaterloo Student Leadership Training, Foundational Training for Peer Leaders or other similar trainings is a strong asset
– Must be a current undergraduate student at the University of Waterloo and enrolled in the term(s) indicated.
– Must be able to be physically on campus during the term(s) as needed
– Must be committed to fulfilling the required hours to ensure quality of service
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Ability to lead a team, engage and motivate
– Able to make timely decisions, independently and with a group
– Strong interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills
– Ability to prioritize and multi-task
– Knowledge of budgeting and finance
– Knowledge of volunteering and administration
– Strong knowledge of social media
Required to attend training with WUSA Services Manager prior to official start date (dates TBA)
Please submit a resume and cover letter indicating experience and how you meet the requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “WUSA MATES Coordinator Fall 2022 Application” by July 17th, 2022, at 11:59PM EST.
You must sign in to apply for this position.