Description: UW MATES Peer Support Volunteers provide emotional and social support services to students who are experiencing social difficulties, low level mental health difficulties, and problems transitioning into university/life in Canada. A Peer Support Volunteer assists students in recognizing their own strengths and resources and in seeking their own solutions while connecting them to other helpful campus and community resources. A UW MATES Peer Support Volunteer must demonstrate compassion, authenticity and a non-judgmental attitude, while adhering to the rules of confidentiality. For the Fall 2022 term our volunteers will mainly be conducting appointments in-person with some online appointments (if restrictions permit).
Requirements for role
– Passion for mental health awareness, reducing stigma for mental illness and a strong proponent of peer support
– Hold consistent weekly hours (2-3hrs per week), plus additional 2 event hours over the term (if applicable)
– Must be in at least your 2A term
– A commitment to the program for at least two academic terms is an asset
– Experience being a Peer Support Volunteer with MATES or other similar programs is an asset
– Demonstrated ability to succeed academically while maintaining other commitments
– Able to work collaboratively and independently in a team environment
– Previous training in Mental Health First Aid, SafeTALK, UWaterloo Student Leadership Training, Foundational Training for Peer Leaders or other similar training is an asset
To apply for this job please visit forms.office.com.